Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Camping Adventures: An Introduction

Living in Sunnyville I have access to hundreds of campgrounds without ever leaving my state. This can be overwhelming when choosing a site for the next adventure. Of course, there is the fall back of returning to the same stomping grounds time and again, and while there is something to be said for returning to a favorite spot, there is much too much to see in this world for me to be satisfied with only one location.

 
So, how do I choose the next adventure? I research... I know it sounds dreadful. But it need not be.

My first choice source is Florida Camping. A long ago gift from my husband, I have poured over its pages, adding notes in the margins of places we stayed and locations we have simply driven through to get a better look. Yes, you can ask at the gate and they will allow you to drive through the grounds at most parks and facilities. This is a great way to get a feel for a location. We have spent the occasional lazy day doing this in an area, noting sites we liked and sites to avoid on possible future trips.
The guides, themselves, have a layout that sort campgrounds by region, give descriptions, and even rate the locations. They are a great source, but are only available used, as I have been unable to find an edition later than 2007.

For those that aren't inclined to research so intensely, I offer this blog and its periodic FL camping posts. My focus will be on what I know best, traveling with family. With children ranging from college to elementary school my attention is typically geared towards keeping this wide range of ages entertained at an affordable rate and with as little parental pain as possible. Posts are likely to include some interesting anecdote or another, as camping is ripe with unexpected incidents, and you can expect some outdoor friendly recipes and tips that are kid & parent friendly.

I love feedback and am open and welcoming of suggestions. Places you may have been, or places you have heard about and think would be worth exploring are just the ideas I would love to hear! Feel free to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment